CRBA & Passport Application Guide
This guide is for reference ONLY. Please contact the embassy AskConsulTbilisi@state.gov directly for advice.
◇ In all cases, either the U.S. citizen parent(s) or their alien spouse must be a genetic or gestational parent of the child to transmit U.S. citizenship to the child. DNA testing is the only testing method accepted to establish a genetic relationship.
◇ U.S. citizen parents must also establish that other citizenship transmission requirements have been met, such as having had certain periods of physical presence or a residence in the United States prior to the birth of the child.
- Order DNA test kit before the baby is born.
In order to prove your child is genetically related to a U.S. citizen parent or non-U.S. citizen parent who is married to a U.S. citizen parent at the time of the child’s birth, a DNA testing is often the best way to establish the relationship. Before the baby is born, contact one of the facilities from the following list. Order an DNA testing kit and have it sent to the U.S. Embassy in Tbilisi. Contact the embassy AskConsulTbilisi@state.gov to confirm the testing kit is well received.
- Prepare documents and make an appointment with the embassy after the baby is born.
2.1 Prepare documents
● ART and birth documentation – original and notarized translation:
a. Surrogacy contract - provided by clinic
b. IVF procedure documentation – provided by clinic
c. Hospital report of birth (Forma 100) – provided by clinic
d. Local birth certificate – issued by Justice House / processed by clinic
Document a. is ready before the embryo transfer. Document b. & c. usually take 1 week. Document d. takes 1 to 2 weeks. You need all 4 documents at the embassy appointment.
● DS-2029 CRBA application form - DO NOT SIGN
You can go to the embassy website to download form DS-2029 and to find more information about CRBA application.
● DS-5507 If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth and the U.S. citizen father is not able to attend the appointment, form DS-5507 Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support is required. Contact the embassy AskConsulTbilisi@state.gov for further instructions.
● Passport of each parent
● Marriage Certificate
● Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate (if available) as proof of citizenship
● Proof of physical address in the U.S. (School records, medical records, employment records, old passport, utility bills, credit card bills, voter registration, etc.)
➢ if both parents are US citizens, at least one has a residence in the US;
➢ if only one parent is US citizen, the U.S. citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five (5) years prior to the person’s birth, at least two of which were after the age of 14.
2 identical passport photos of each person being tested (baby and each parent), 2”x 2” (5cm x 5cm), color with light background, taken within the past six months.
● Fees: US$100.00 Credit card and cash (USD or GEL) payments are accepted.
2.2 Schedule an appointment
Schedule an appointment at the U.S. Embassy Tbilisi consular section online at:
Choose “Make appointment!”
Choose “Report the birth abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen and/or apply for the child’s first passport.”
Choose an available time
Print out the appointment notice
You only need the baby’s name and date of birth to make the appointment.
Available appointment is usually 2 weeks out. Allow enough time for the clinic to provide the 4 documents.
2.3 Contact the embassy AskConsulTbilisi@state.gov to confirm that they can accommodate the DNA testing sample collection on the same day of the appointment.
- Go to the appointment.
Bring all the documents, photos and fees to the embassy. During the interview, a consular officer will determine whether the requirement of “citizenship transmission” is met. A physician will collect the DNA sample of the baby and that the each parent present. (Parents can also have their DNA samples collected in the U.S., contact the lab for instructions). DO NOT feed the baby right before the collection as they use mouth swabs to collect saliva sample inside the mouth.
- Make a second appointment with the Embassy.
The DNA samples will be shipped back to the lab in the U.S. where the testing will be done. It takes about 7-10 days for the result to come back. The lab will email the result to you and to the embassy as well. Once the result comes back, make an appointment with the embassy again online.
If the earliest available appointment is far out, contact the embassy and request an emergency appointment.
- Go to the second appointment.
Bring the following to the appointment.
● Passport of each parent present.
● DS-11 Application for a US passport - DO NOT SIGN
You can go to the embassy website to download form DS-11 and to find more information about passport application.
● DS-3053 - If one parent is not physically present, a notarized DS-3053 and certified true copy of the non-appearing parent’s passport or photo ID should accompany the DS-3053.
● Baby’s Birth Certificate
● 2 Identical passport photos of the baby
● Fees: US$135.00 Credit card and cash (USD or GEL) payments are accepted.
● A prepaid DHL envelope
If you decide to have embassy mail the CRBA of your child to your address in the U.S., you need to bring a prepaid DHL envelope which can be bought at the DHL shipping center in Tbilisi.
Address: 105 Akaki Tsereteli Ave, Tbilisi 0119, Georgia
Business hours: Monday-Friday 9:30-18:30 Saturday 10:00-14:00
Request a limited validity passport which is good for one year only, and you may pick it up on the same day. You may replace it with a full-validity passport for free at a later time.
You may also request a full-validity passport which is good for 5 years, but you have to wait for a week or two.
- Pickup the passport
Embassy will email you once the passport is ready for pickup. Only one parent is needed to pick it up.
- Exit Georgia
● Check in at the counter which only opens 3 hours before the departure time.
Normally, you need to check in at the airport when you have an infant travelling with you.
● Get though security check.
Usually, if you have baby food with you, there will be open bag check.
● Exit Georgian Customs
The customs officer will check your passport, baby’s passport, baby’s birth certificate and the surrogacy contract. He/She will leave the post, take your documents and process in the back office.
All the above are time-consuming. Try to go to the airport early and get in the front of the line at the check-in counter. Be careful with your luggage weight to save time at check-in.